Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #117
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I fail to see why Rowling should be singled out by Christian fundamentalists, Wiccans or anyone else for writing the same sort of tales that have been fascinating children throughout the ages.
It may be just a matter of timing, from a historical perspective. You see, the strongly eschatological (end times) bent in Fundamentalist theology led them into a "separate from the world" kind of stance. Therefore they stayed out of that especially muddy thing called politics ... that is, until things got worse than they could stand, and people like Falwell spoke up and said "America is a great Christian Nation! We can't let the heathens take it over!" Thus was born the Moral Majority (which some assert was neither of the two words) and the Christian Fundamentalist jump into politics AND the culture wars, as they are called. Star Wars was one of their first media targets. They don't trust C.S. Lewis or Tolkien, but probably note that their fellow Christians who are NOT fundamentalist, hold those two in high esteem. Harry Potter, by contrast, is authored by a modern and a woman (perhaps I'm exaggerrating the CF viewpoint with that ), and contains no Aslan or Eru. Prime target material for the culture wars. So, timing, I think, SPM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote