Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 12:01 PM   #109
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Harry Potter is a series in which magic is in your face. The book is about a wizard, about his time spent in a wizarding school. It describes his spells and the magical world in detail. Quite frankly, without magic there is NO Harry Potter. With the Lord of the Rings, the situation is quite a bit different. Although magic is certainly there, and plays some important roles, it is never more than a supporting cast member. It takes up far less of the "screen time" and is described in far less detail.
Good point. I'd also like to make a quick point about some small, yet important, diction in The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbits seem to refer to the ring, at least to begin with, as "a magic ring" where as everyone else calls it "The Ring of Power" There seems to be a difference, in my mind. To me, Gandalf wields Power, not magic. Where as Harry Potter openly uses magic.... I thought it was an interesting thing.