Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 09:20 AM   #102
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Hookbill, I am not Catholic and no longer Christian but I have to say that what you are implying is rather arrogant and insulting. It is arrogant for a start to assume you are saved - and that members of a different Christian denomination with a different tradition and perspective are ignorant of their religion. The bible and Christianity are not the same thing all though clearly you belong to a "bible based" denomination. The traditional teachings of the church have a greater role in the longer established denominations such as Catholicism - particularly Catholicism which feels a great sense of continuity with Saint Peter. You may not agree with it but you are clearly not in a position to say they are ignorant.
I don't think that Hookbill was being "arrogant and insulting," as (1) I don't think that that was what he was trying to do in his post and (2) his generalized observations are commonly held in the community. My wife and her family are Catholic, and I have made the same observation - note that I do not include all, just the small set that I have observed.

I would also like to point out that there are Protestants who also do not read their Bible nor understand/care what's therein.

Quote:
As for bible reading - I very much doubt that it was banned as such although it certainly had limited access before printing and when all books were writtten in Latin. The development of the printing press certainly coincided with the rise of protestantism. Access to the bible in English meant that people could read and make up their own minds and reduced the power of the priests as instructors and sole interpreters of Holy Writ....... how ironic that fundamentalist protestants now seek to limit access to books. La plus ca change .............
Not saying anything about religion nor especially anything about any specific religion, but knowledge is power, and to hold it secret and close allows one to maintain control. Think of guilds, of an aunt's secret recipe for cookies, of special knowledge from a supernatural source.