Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 05:04 PM   #81
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Harry Potter, on the other hand, is very clearly a wizard in the Biblical sense.
I guess it's not clear to me. Could you please describe this Biblical sense?

I couldn't even find the word "wizard" in my Bible.

Harry Potter does wizardry, which is a seemingly magical transforming power or influence, but so does Gandalf.

Harry Potter doesn't do sorcery, which is "the use of power gained from the assistance of evil spirits especially for divining" (Webster). There is the Witch of Endor, but that's not the same thing.

Quote:
The thing about Harry Potter is, that it dose not have any moral standards, its more a sequence of events that conforms to Hollywood's ideological views of how to be a good person.
I'm not sure what you're getting at, Hookbill, with the quotes from the Bible on moral standards, other than to show that Christian belief holds all of us alike to be unable to save ourselves by our own morality, which I agree with. But are you trying to say that J.K. Rowling consulted Hollywood before she started writing the series? Or are you saying that she was already under the influence of Hollywood? And if so, could you give an instance from the books that show this?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote