Thread: Two Frodos
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2002, 07:36 AM   #77
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Amarantha -- Actually, I thought you made several interesting points in your earlier posts. Your idea about the Elves having a real attraction for Man is a good one. And the fact this could have influenced Frodo as well, so he somehow felt more comfortable with Goldberry because she wasn't way "above" his head. She was a bit more like the women he'd seen before in his own life.

Even today that attraction of the Elves is true--and I'm not kiddin here. Just look how many young women dream and fantasize about Elves, especially Legolas. You don't see as many attracted by the figures of hobbits or men. It would actually be interesting to take a poll on that down in the non-books section and see what most people said, i.e. not tying it in to one character, but what "race" as a whole is most attractive to you, etc. etc. I think the Elves would win!

About threads of this type, i.e. long winded and literary. I don't think you have to worry. Most threads in the Downs aren't like this --only in Books I and II, and even most of those are less involved.

Believe me, there are some threads in these sections I don't post on because they are above my head--too philosophical for me to fee comfortable with, or requiring lots of information from the Silmarillion or HoMe which I'm just learning myself. All the other sections--novices and newcomers, movies, the trivia sections, RPG, are pretty straightforward and not so complex. So if you aren't comfortable with one section just try another!

But, in any case, I thought your earlier contributions were fine. The tough thing is when you get a long thread like this it's hard to get back and respond to everyone, and that may have been my mistake since I startd the thread.

So hopefully, there are no bad feelings here. Anyways, keep hacking away, and don't apologize for what you do because it is just fine.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit