Thread: Two Frodos
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2002, 07:09 PM   #46
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Bethberry,

I wholeheartedly agree. I would go so far (ducking expected flames!), as to call it "holiness". As in purity, depth, ancient-ness, transcendance, and sheer, sheer beauty of an entirely spiritual nature.

I think that was one of the things that Tolkien was showing in his "mythology" and I think he did a great, great job.

Tolkien taught me to fall in love with that, the mystery of goodness that goes deeper than we know, but we hunger for it.

Sharon-- It was because of Tolkien that I sought out truth, beauty, and holiness-- the spirituality, the shining light from within Frodo, the "what-is-it-about-those-elves". Even the wrenching sea-sadness has something holy about it. So as life went on, I was always looking for Lorien or Rivendell or Gildor's campfire, or ... what-is-it-about-those-elves??? ....Holiness.

And yes, I see Frodo as walking deeper and deeper in that holiness as the quest progresses-- definitely battling the inward shadow, do not all mystics do that? And is that not the very essence of the Dark Night of the senses, and Dark Night of the soul?

And I miss that in the film. I'm so glad I can go back to the books and find it again. Book-Frodo's dreams seem to be an instant hook into that for me, as also whenever he mentions the sea or Eressea (even while I'm screaming, No, Don't Go.) So much about Frodo points to that holiness. (Book-Frodo, that is.) Sam senses it frequently, seeing the star above the Ephel Duath, or seeing the light shining through Frodo sometimes.