View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 07:23 AM   #557
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child stood at the cave entrance waving towards Pio nd Veritas. "We're here and we're fine. Frodo and Sam and Rose are inside sleeping. I know this fellow looks a bit strange but that isn't his fault. He is a hobrim, a distant relative of the Stoors. Everyone is alright. You can put your swords down."

The little Durshag came padding up beside Child. "These are your friends? he queried. "They seem quite fierce. Perhaps they are having a bad day. Please have them join us for breakfast. I have plenty of Searooms for all."

Veritas and Pio cautiously approached. Child assured them "It really is alright. We've all slept soundly. You have to hear what this little fellow would like us to do. You're not going to believe it. He is quite harmless, but what straits his people are in may be another thing."

Pio stammered in disbelief. "But he looks like, .....like Gollum" she whispered.

Child glared back, "Didn't your mother ever teach you not to judge people from how they look outside? He can't help how he looks. Durshag's people have legends of Smeagol who was an evil kinslayer and was put down by the great lady Malva. He knowns nothing of any "Gollum."

Child giggled, "I admit his lamp light eyes gave me a start too. But look, they are white, not green. They would be green if he were evil and corrupted, just as Gollum's were."

"Now, let me introduce you, and he will explain what he wishes from us."

Rose had woken up and padded up beside Child. She yawned and said, "It is alright. Child's right. This creature is strange, but he is gentle enough."

The smell of roasting Searooms and fish drifted out to them. Apparently, Durshag had even learned how to make fire from flint in his small cave.

"Time for first breakfast!" Durshag cried triumphantly.

"Child grinned at Pio, "See, I told you he just looked funny. He really is a lot like us land-dwelling hobbits."

[ June 27, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]