View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #22
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boromir
I agree with everything said about him. It really wasn't his fault that he got tempted by the Ring and tried to take it from Frodo. He represented the other side of the coin among the Fellowship: he was there mainly because he was returning to his own country, but he helped them anyway - and died along the way.
It must been heavy for him to submit to Aragorn: Aragorn was the leader of the Fellowship after Gandalf's death, the rightful heir of Gondor's throne etc., but Boromir managed anyway, and even respected him.

It was a terrible pity that Boromir died, but what else could have happened to him? He tried to take the Ring from Frodo, and would have been ashamed for it for the rest of his life, had he still lived. Would he have been able to face Frodo after that? Anyway, he made amends for his deed by trying to save Merry and Pippin (Tolkien seemingly forgave him that he had had to try to take the Ring); he didn't die as one of those bad fellows.
Furhermore, he's proud, attractive, valiant, noble... What more can a woman ask for?

Saruman
One of the saddest moments in Lotr is when they meet Saruman on the road. He's so... defeated, but still full of pride and anger. And they treat him really unjustly. Even though he sent his armies against Rohan and whatever, he doesn't deserve to be scorned like that.

It's his power and intelligence that I like most - and that voice! I must confess I've always almost wished Gandalf hadn't rejected his offer to join him. Poor Saruman! Why are the Wizards always being so mean to each other?

Tom Bombadil
Old Tom Bombadil - he's such a merry fellow, and my first favourite character ever. Living in a house in the middle of forest. Independent and powerful. Sympathetic.
And I just loved the Adventures of Tom Bombadil. He's so funny and sharp-tongued.

Eärendil
Certainly one of the most wonderful characters in Tolkien's mythology. He brought hope to Men and Elves and became a star. Now that's beautiful. And he came from the sky and slew Ancalagon in the War of Wrath.
It was both comfortable and a little sad when Amandil referred to Eärendil in Akallabêth ("... and that I shall show you no such sign as Eärendil showed long ago."). It's so clear there will never be someone other like him - not in Middle-earth.
I haven't read that many fantasy books, but I dare guess having a character with much resemblance to Eärendil would be too obvious plagiarism. At least I hope so.

Fingolfin
He challenged Melko to a duel even though was sure to lose. And look how he treated Fëanor although he was being so, well, unfriendly. I wish my little brothers were as devoted and kind to me.
He was the greatest king of the Noldor ever (though he, too, suffered from a certain kind of folly, which seems to be in the genes of the House of Finwë). The most proud and most valiant.

There are so many others I could have included; Maeglin, Maglor, Tuor, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, Old Man Willow, Thorin Oakenshield, Eöl... (Am I cheating or something? It was supposed to list five, I have 12.) Actually, Fingolfin could be replaced by any of those.

It would be interesting to find even one list I've made as a child - I can clearly remember writing several top5 lists of the characters of the Lotr, Sil etc., but I've no idea anymore who were included in the lists.