View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 02:58 AM   #38
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James the Just View Post
If anyone's interested I know Bilbo's and Frodo's exact birthdates, which, of course, can be used to calculate their signs, etc. Hint: the One Ring was destroyed on March 13, 4502 BC (Gregorian proleptic calendar; the one we use backdated). And here are some very interesting facts; both Martin Freeman and Ian Holm not only have the same sign but decan as well. An incredible coincidence.
I'd be interested to know where that date comes from, at least! The Encyclopedia of Arda calendar puts the destruction of the Ring on the 17th March Gregorian, though you could probably account for the difference with some leap year differences.

But even allowing for that, your year intrigues me. In another thread I've calculated Tolkien's date for the end of the Third Age as either 4241 BC (post 2) or 7298 BC (post 16), depending on which of Tolkien's numbers you accept (the latter being more up-to-date). What did you derive the 4502 figure from?

hS