View Single Post
Old 11-12-2004, 10:12 PM   #15
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree Armed with two books and Astrologycom, Enca began her post...

Quote:
Boromir undoubtly is a cancer
As a Cancer who has researched her sign quite thoroughly, I must beg to differ.

I know that the excellent example you gave was meant to be just that -- an example -- but it could definitely serve as a starting point.

When I first thought of what sign Boromir might have, the sign that immediately came into my head was Scorpio. This sign is ruled by Mars, the namesake of the god of war, and Pluto, which according to Astrologycom is "the planet of transformation." Astrologycom also says that as a fixed sign, it is "strong and solid." Boromir, a warrior, is indeed "strong and solid," and he does go through transformation-- albeit not until his death.

Boromir pre-Quest is a noble and highly respected man. "Scorpio governs will and authority." (Astrologycom). This would certainly be a necessary trait for someone who was more than likely to inherit the Stewardship of Gondor. Scorpios make good soldiers or sailors: they like discipline and respond to it, perhaps with a view to inflicting it themselves in due time. (The Compleat Astrologer). While I think that "inflicting" is too harsh a word, you can get the idea. Boromir is a leader; he's used to being in charge and having people listen to him.

When he arrives at the Council of Elrond and is "told off" a couple of times (about Aragorn's true identity, not being able to use the Ring), he's a bit put out because he doesn't have all the answers. He did, however, come to figure something out: the meaning behind the cryptic dream that he and Faramir had. "Keys to your success are a strong will and the ability to get to the bottom of things. You want answers and will doggedly persist until you get them." (Astrologycom). He did get his answers, even if he didn't like them all so much.

Scorpios are often jealous, and this jealousy combined with their determination is not a positive thing. This was seen when Boromir tried to seize the Ring from Frodo: he was convinced that he was right, and he thought that he could not be stopped. The Ring could only have served to amplify these traits.

The symbol for Scorpio is obviously the scorpion, a deadly creature not to be trifled with, hence Boromir's stamina and his ability to slay so many of the attacking Uruk-hai even as he was being shot. Yet the eagle is sometimes used for this sign as well, which would symbolize "the power also to rise above wordly diffculties, to soar away from any earthbound antagonism." (the Compleat Astrologer). Through giving up his life to defend Merry and Pippin, Boromir was able to "soar away" from the greed and negativity he had showed previously in trying to take the Ring, and redeem himself.

One reason I'm a bit skeptical about the idea of Boromir being a Cancer is that most Cancerians not only care about their families, but they want to start a family of their own. Boromir was always more interested in war and glory than settling down with a nice woman... perhaps Faramir would be the Cancer? I'd like to explore that idea a bit further, but alas, no time as of now.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote