View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
White Tree

Quote:
3) This one I know I have read somewhere, but can't seem to find it again. It is on p.18 in the first full paragraph. "So ended the tale of Turin the hapless; the worst of the works of Morgoth among Men in the ancient world."
From The Wanderings of Húrin:
Quote:
There is, first, a draft manuscript and associated rough workings (often of an extreme roughness). Many pages of the draft material are the backs of University documents dated 1954, others are documents from 1957. Secondly, there is a typescript made by my father on his later typewriter (see X.300), much emended in manuscript and with some substantial passages rejected and replaced by new material in typescript; and lastly an amanuensis typescript of virtually no independent value. The work can be placed with fair certainty towards the end of the 1950s.
My father's typescript, as typed, bore no title, but he wrote in ink on the top copy:
Of the fate of Húrin and Morwen
Link to the Necklace of the Dwarves, 'Sigil Elu-naeth'
Necklace of the Woe of Thingol
The text opens thus:
So ended the tale of Túrin the hapless; and it has ever been held one of the worst of the deeds of Morgoth among Men in the ancient world. It is said by some that on a time Morwen came in her witless wandering to the graven stone, and knowing that her children were dead, though she understood not in what way their tale had ended, she sat beside the stone awaiting death; and there Húrin found her at last, as is after told.