View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Guillermo explains ditzy Philippa...

Philippa Boyens made an offhand comment here...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...despite-doubts
that although the Hobbit was episodic in book-form, it would not be so in the movie.

Naturally, anything Ms. Boyens says about scripting gives me cold chills after watching the dubious manner LotR was plotted. Fortunately, Guillermo del Toro came to the rescue and explained Ms. Boyen's flagrant faux pas on theonering.net ...

http://newboards.theonering.net/foru...so=DESC;mh=25;

Here are GDT's comments:

Quote:
What PB says refers mostly to the fact that Thorin & Co repeatedly go:

BANQUET-TRAPPED-FREED (Trolls, Goblins, Spider, Elves)

This is not a criticism but a marked characteristic we have to deal with when structuring the films.

In fact, part of Fairy Tale narrative is to be episodic since- many a time- it is structured around a series of quests that don't seem to escalate as much as accumulate.

In fact, when studying for PANS LABYRINTH, I found out that the "predictable outcome" of these episodes is part of the charm of this particular form of tale. So, don't be afraid, we are truly trying to preserve the charm of it- the whimsy of it-

Anyway- as you know, I cannot divulge much but I can discuss generalities of approach... So...

We need to make sure there are "long lines" emotionally (growth, friendship, etc) amongst Thorin & Co and dramatically (how episodes "build" upon each other ) that will make everything feel more fluid.

That, plus Dol Guldur, which makes the "comings and goings" of Gandalf have their own storyline throughout the two films.

All the Best

G
I feel a bit better now.