View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #224
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
None of 'em.

Especially the Book of Mormon which was nicked from other texts - as for the Koran/Quran (however we're spelling it), like the Bible it had multiple hands involved in writing it. I don't know of any Scientology texts as I'm not a billionaire. But whatever Tom Cruise and co read at bedtime, like the Book of Mormon, it all stems from other stuff and it's not mythology anyway, just textbooks.
I think you're missing my point, Lal. No matter what sources Joseph Smith may have borrowed from, there's no question but that he wrote The Book of Mormon just as much as Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings (which of course borrowed from a lot of sources.) Similarly the Quran was written by Mohammed, no matter what Hebrew and Christian influences show through. Scientology isn't contained in a single book, but who said a mythology has to be? And it certainly is or contains a mythology: the whole business with Galctic Overlord Xenu and his interplanetary DC-8's (I am not making this up!)

The important point is that millions of people believe that these accounts of gods and other supernatural beings are literally, historically true--and also that they were written (or "revealed") by one man.

I hope you're not suddenly suggesting that the Author doesn't matter!

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 06-15-2007 at 12:28 PM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote