View Single Post
Old 02-27-2003, 12:02 PM   #44
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I LOVE this place! I have really been enjoying the thoughtful posts on Boromir's character!

Who was it that asked "Where are all the Boromir haters?" Well, I have been a Boromir hater, but now it is more pity than hate. I cannot agree either that I can identify with Boromir as a human; every time I think of having the Ring or using such a dangerous tool even for good, I cringe way deep down. I identify most strongly with Frodo, and I do not believe him to be a hobbit of iron will, just of desperate will and keen sight. He, unlike Boromir, has special insight into the real nature of the Ring, and his knowledge combined with the knowledge also that the Boromirs of the world would never see what he sees, drives him on the Quest. He does not do it for any real noble purpose, but out of sheer evil "hot on his tail." He is strong enough not to give it up to one who does not see, but he is also resentful and cynical because he believe he alone DOES see. He is an unwilling martyr.

Sorry, I know this is a Boromir thread! Anyway, I do believe Boromir to be noble and possessed of a fatal flaw that cannot be said to be an evil thing. He loves his country. He loves Gondor and feels a desperate need to protect it. His psychology is such that, he identifies himself as not only the protector, but the possessor of this treasure, which drives him to do anything at all to protect it. He does not see the line that must be drawn between defense against evil and evil itself, whereas Faramir sees it clearly.

I always railed against Boromir for being blind, not that I could say I would have better sight myself. I just cannot conceive of using evil against evil; it would make me hate myself for even considering such a road. I cannot see eye-to-eye with Boromir's theory that the Ring can be used effectively against Sauron without harm to the user, because I understand implicitly that it cannot be made to do good, no matter the good intentions behind it. I applaud Boromir's outspokenness, but he was told that this Ring could not be wielded by Men, and he in his pride did not believe it.

I no longer hate Boromir for his attack on Frodo and lust for the Ring, because he actually ended up helping Frodo make a decision he feared greatly to make. Boromir's Ring-lust painted such a clear picture in Frodo's mind that I think it contributed greatly to the growing cynicism and despair that finally undid Frodo in the end. For where can one go if one carries the madness of Men with him at all times? The pity I feel for Boromir is a form of this cynicism that laments for the weakness of Men and its inevitability, as it feels the same weakness creeping in the background, waiting to swallow up all hope. If evil holds sway over the strongest Man of Minas Tirith, then how much more so does evil beset the rest of them?

Forgive me, I rant and ramble! Great thread and great thoughts! I can't say I'm the Boromir hater you're looking for, but I have been in the past!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote