Old 02-26-2003, 05:20 PM   #43
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

Greetings to all my fellow Bor' fans!

|_|) <-- a round for all, fill w/ your favorite virtual beverage

alas that i seem to have come to this thread so late -- but i gave a speech on Bor's role in LOTR to my Toastmasters club last year based on these very sentiments. i set out to prove that he qualified as a classic Tragic Hero. (unfortunately i had only 15 minutes to make my point and i needed 20, but i digress) Elves & Dwarves & Wizards & Kings will all vanish when the lights go up, but the theater is filled with the folk of Gondor (and Rohan) We have grown up with Boromir and he is us.

i see plenty of interesting perspectives in here (especially you, Salk, you have made some very intriguing observations, and Cimmerian, it's nice to see your sig in a thread again, by Crom!) In particular re: the notion of Boromir being portrayed unsympathetically, there's some of that going on in the Far' or Bor' thread as well. And me, i don't buy the whole "Blood of Numenor" concept either, but that's just a hardcore RPG gamer talking (and a character in a work in progress saying, "the only way I would expect you not to have this Talent, B., is if you were not in fact D.'s son... however, since I see no evidence for that...")

But yes, i do think (and have thought since the animated movie that went from the Shire to Helm's Deep came out) that Bor' didn't get enough respect. (also have to consider what was going on outside his door when T. was writing this as well -- lots of perfectly well-meaning individuals making very hard choices between two or more evils. i like to think Tolkien was using B. to make a point about real live folks in the military & diplomatic arenas at the time as well!)

s.t.

BTW E.T., that is a fine picture of milord of Gondor indeed. Click on that avatar pic, yes that is "soft sculpture" Boromir complete with gear and chainmail (and Horn of Gondor with real Horn, not pictured as that photo was taken before i'd finished his surcoat, made the accessories or found the right scale letter-opener for sword.) There really ought to be a file of him here at the Downs under Fan Art, but i can't find a large enough model Elven Boat... (Maybe i'll just stand him up on a doll stand and take a couple shots...)

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Saxony Tarn ]