View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 12:07 AM   #19
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Hi!

I've been brooding over this topic for quite a while now, and finally came up with something worthy of posting. Here it is:

Gandalf and Aragorn: The Past and the Future

Near the end of RotK, it was Gandalf who crowned Aragorn, because the crown (which represents rule of Middle-earth) of the Fading Ones (as represented by Gandalf) would be passed to the Followers (as represented by Aragorn).
If taken in this context, then Gandalf "crowned" Aragorn twice: the first one was at the Bridge of Khazad-dûm, when Gandalf gave command of the Company to Aragorn. As I see it, before giving the authority to Men, the Fading Ones must first take care of the ancient Evils - the Balrog, in this case.

Some side comments:
~ Now Frodo was crown-bearer, perhaps because he was the instrument Gandalf used to effect the destruction of the great ancient Evil - Sauron.
~ In the context of the "crowning" of Aragorn in Moria, then the Fellowship must represent Middle-earth.

Boromir and the Hobbits: The Gift of Eru to Men

Quote:
[Eru: ] . . . of [Men's] operation everything should be, in form and in deed, completed, and the world fulfilled unto the last and smallest. (Ainulindalë)
Boromir strikes me as the proof of this gift. In laying his life for the hobbits (and for moving Frodo) he saved Minas Tirith from doom. Despite his death, Boromir fulfilled his mission.

The sons of Denethor II and Frodo: Life as Payment

The brothers interfered (yet actualy helped) in Frodo's mission, and paid for it with their lives (not literal for Faramir, of course, although the powerful movie line "Then it is forfeit" sure comes to mind). Once again, their actions saved the one they loved: Minas Tirith.

Pairs: The Next Level

Now taking this pairs idea to the next level, notice that most of the pairs (good/evil, spiritual/temporal, etc.) would not last forever. The one pair that would eventually remain is Eru/Eruhíni and Ainur (in the Second Ainulindalë). The link is comparable to a parent/offspring relation, a further step from marriage. Hey, this almost fits with davem's idea!
Quote:
A happy ending = marriage & children. (davem)
I guess that's it.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote