View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 08:49 PM   #14
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Notes on Round and Flat...

I think also with the relationship/pairing of Eowyn and Faramir, what makes them even more "opposite" would be their flatness/roundness.

Eowyn is a very flat character, we know what she's going to do, she's going to want to fight, even if she's told to stay back, not to go to war, she's going. Her one priority is like Boromir, fighting plain and simple. Where Faramir is more of a flat character, we don't know what to expect from him. He has this oppurtunity to claim the ring for himself and in doing so would probably save Gondor (or course another dark lord would rise to power), but instead he does something totally opposite of what people expect, he flat out rejects the ring. We know men are easy to corruption, especially when dealing with the one ring, but Faramir isn't like most men, he has the strength to reject the ring, making him "rounder" then the other men we have seen fall to the ring.

I think an obvious pairing would be the fellowship and the nazgul. Elrond comes right out and says there shall be 9 fellowshippers to combat the 9 nazgul. It's not like the nazgul and Fellowship members are totally different either. Just like the nazgul, the fellowship was very vulnurable to corruption, we saw it with Boromir. But Boromir was only the first to fall to the ring, others would have followed if Frodo hadn't of left the fellowship.

Lastly, the pairing between Gandalf and Denethor. Both bring different qualities to the table when it comes to defending Minas Tirith, and without one of them Minas Tirith might not have succeeded. Denethor sets up the defenses of the city. When Gandalf arrives, walls are built around Minas Tirith, he's got the beacons lit, Hirgon sent out, the armies of the outerlands coming into the city, so he did a very good job in setting up the defenses of the city. Denethor learned a lot from the palantir, in where he was willing to fight Sauron and knew how to defend the city (too bad the palantir also made him crazy). Where Gandalf is more of the pep talker/motivational speaker. It said when Gandalf was around the spirits of the soldiers raised. Now When Denethor shows his sword it shows he still is willing to combat Sauron, but I don't know of many circumstances of him riding to the gates and giving peptalks or morale boosts like Gandalf did (because he didn't). So I think without one of them Minas Tirith would have been doomed, Denethor had the defense read, Gandalf brought his motivational peptalks to the stage.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote