View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #1523
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

This is probably the best place to post about what happened to me today - even though it is not really a "sign", strictly speaking. It's, I think, a natural result of being a 'Downer (or in my case, being me).

Not sure if any of you are familiar with the computer game Star Wars: The Old Republic (or if any of you are even playing it). I am, and let's just say that it's a classic role-playing game where you have your character, who has a story which you are following in the game, all situated in the Star Wars universe (long time before the movies). Now I was playing a person acting as a spy who, as it comes, has to use secret codenames. So from time to time, you get a codename in which your character is addressed during some part of the game.

I would like to point out that all the dialogues with the NPCs (non-player characters) in the game are fully voiced and so it looks more like watching a movie than playing a game when you talk to someone.

This time, I came to some NPC who was about to assign a new task to me. He explained to me what I have to do, and then he finished the dialogue by saying: "Your codename for this operation will be... Legate."

For a few seconds, I was like: "What??? Did I hear correctly?" And then I completely cracked up. I mean, YES. That's possibly the coolest thing that might have happened to me there

It feels great to be called by your own name, you see

P.S. Oh, I just recalled, when I am at it... the fact that the very same character's ship is called "the Phantom" is a minor detail. Now that I think of it... if I encounter one more 'Downer name in there, I might start becoming suspicious as to the identity of the creators of the game...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote