View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 02:34 PM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
"But I must see someone. And the Queen accepts audiences from all members of the city."

The Guard listened closely to the man's story and conferred with the other guard. Finally, after more discussion, one entered the Queen's main audience room and crossed to the door of her private quarters, where he called to the old nurse.

"Homay, there is one who insists upon seeing the Queen upon temple business. Will she accept the visitor?"

Homay conveyed the message and Bekah, not yet fully arrayed with her headress or other state ornaments, appeared. Once she was settled on her seat, the guards let the man enter.

"Majesty, " he spoke, bowing low, "I thank you for this impromptu meeting."

"You say you have urgent temple business?"

"I have a message for the King from citizens who wish to see a proud display of our worship. Yet the King did not keep our scheduled meeting."

"The King has many responsibilities and duties. He is not free to make personal choices but serves the nation and the people. You should remember that he could have more pressing matters to attend to. Perhaps you can return tomorrow."

"Majesty, I come bearing offerings for the Sky god, which must be given today."

Bekeh looked closely at the man.

"What is your occupation?"

"I am a master builder, Majesty."

Bekah thought quietly to herself at this news. So already the pressure is building from many quarters. First the priests. Then the lords. Now those who would benefit from building a new temple to Rea.

"Let no offering then be wasted, nor your faithfullness either. Take the offerings and spread them around the Black Obelisk."

"But Majesty, that is to both deities."

"I am sure that deities are beyond squabbling over tribute as we mortals do, Master Builder. I will not presume to know the King's mind on this or speak for him. I will simply suggest a way for your efforts not to be in vain. You sought my audience and so now you have my advice. The choice is yours. Waste your tribute or offer it in public display where all may understand your aspirations."

The Master Builder had not been expecting this. He had hoped rather to draw the King's interest to those who wished to see a temple built, a development which would bring wealth to his coffers and work to many. Yet he could not deny the Queen's generosity in seeing him nor her advice.

"And you will inform the King?"

"Of course I shall. And he may take what further action he deems important."

With a wordless bow, he withdrew and the Queen beckoned the guards to her.

"You were right to notify me of his distress. Has the King spent the entire day with the Western Emissary?"

"Yes, Majesty."

Bekah walked over to her favourite window which looked out upon the garden. The scent of jasmine and cedar wafted through the air and she breathed deeply as she sought time to think. Then she turned back to the guards.

"This arrival is unlike anything we have known. The King must think it is a serious matter to give it so much attention. For my part, I will make sure to prepare for him a display of Pashtian hospitality and preeminence. "

The guards nodded.

"Please send my invitation to General Morgôs and his wife Arlomë, to join me at the entrance to the banquet tonight, and sit beside me at my table, their son also should they wish his presence. Send also my request to the Prince and Princess that they join me for the entrance. They may take their own tables, as is their right, should they wish. And tell our chief Priestess and Priest that a table shall be prepared for them, across from mine, so that we each sit at one of the King's hands."

"Word will be sent immediately, Majesty."

After the guards withdrew, Homay left the private quarters and silently placed a hand on the Queen's shoulder. Bekah turned to her with a sad smile, but said nothing. She had caught a glimspe of her son in the garden, alone and pensive again, and she made a note to speak to him soon about making his presence known. And she wondered if her daughter would have the presence of mind to understand the necessities of a state dinner.