View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlPeredhel View Post
Also, how (if at all) do you differentiate between a nerd and a geek? I've always been called a Tolkien nerd.
Geek is more fun to say. Geeeeeeeeek!

But good point. I don't know. I think "geek" is a term of more general interest - "nerd" is more about factual knowledge, while "geek" can encompass activities, actions, posters, habits, etc. Being a nerd overlaps with being a geek.

To add to my list, as a A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones Show geek I modified the expression "stinks to high heaven" into "sucks to seven hells", which I actually use as a part of my daily vocabulary.

You know you're a math geek when you start doodling math puns or deriving formulas on the margins of your notebook. (When going over my old history notebook, I found three pages at the back filled with a repeated derivation of the quadratic formula).

You're also a math geek when you want to one day write a math textbook and call it "Calculus Without Limits". (Well, one of my French books was called French Without Borders,and there's a student organization on this side of the pond called Engineers Without Borders. I don't see why a book or a club or something can't be named Calculus Without Limits. )

EDIT: Oh! And another Game of Thrones one. When you nickname a small enclosure on your uni campus with a few trees in it "the Godswood", and the word Godswood has to be said in a Sansa Stark accent, as she speaks in the show.