View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #10
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Hello there posters and readers.

@Pitchwife hail Pitwife. May the drommond's granite masts and sails bear thee far from home and safely to return.

Thank you for the interesting materials. Sauron's will for domination was somehow echoed in the Ringspell, with much of his native power poured into the Ring. Some tie of sentience, or presence of Sauron's evil will was permanently present in the Ring, and certainly, the Ring had great power to influence, corrupt and enslave.

The Ring's measure in that regard needed to exceed that of the [is it combined power] of each Elf and her/his Elven wielders? Was it the Fea or the Lorewise-ness of individual Elves that was part of the base 'threshold' level Sauron needed to exceed? And did each Ring add to that measure of critical difference. The Elves took off their Rings when the echoes of the Ringspell were discerned, and Sauron was able to -- was it perceive only? the minds of the wielders of the Three when they wore their Rings.

@Angisil - great to see you. interesting point about non-linear depletions. Shadowfax. It's interesting that The Silmarils did not deplete Feanor, even though they were assays he could not replicate again in a second creation. I wonder, then does this mean that Celebrimbor's assays were his equivalent to one-off feats of mastery? Celebrimbor also made the headache-jewel, the Elessar. Like the Three, (in one version of the Gem) it made things green and young in Beleriand where it was stored.

@Wiliam

Hey there - interesting materials. Thank you for the quotes too. Preservation is some feature of the Three, though exactly what that means, is implied and stated, but in different ways in the mythology. You point out that Narya we see 'kindling hearts to courage', put as the Ring of Fire. Gandalf described himself as "Keeper of the Secret Fire", although I was never sure if he meant that in the context of Narya or not. Preservation through, perhaps resistance to domination, because of instilled courage. Nenya - the Ring of Adamant and the Ring of air - and that's a very interesting idea about the meeting of the flowing Silverlode and Anduin as premise for power. Adamant always seemed to imply 'hardness' or 'steadfastness', which seems to imply a preservation power about holding and sustaining, which certainly is consistent with Time Stop idea about Lorien. Vilya - water - blue stone of sapphire I presume, and considered "mightiest" of the three, and presumably, Elrond's power to heal was implicated in the Ring. Even though it seemed to influence the waters of the Bruinen as well.

@Zigur - you raise an interesting point about what it was that Cirdan mentioned to Gandalf. What was Idle about its placement in Mithlond? Presumably use of a Ring 'announces' location or presence of the wielder. I suspect that the Three also acted in synergy. That is Preservation as each wielder acted in concert in some unified capacity.

@Inziladun - I wonder why the Ring of Fire went to a water harbour. It's such a contrast isn't it.

@Belegorn - Hello there. I think you might be onto something. I have been withholding ideas about power and the 'essence of creation' and the Rings somehow as conduits of Ea that imbues materialism, and spiritualism.

Back Later