View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 04:44 PM   #325
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Urken stood in the shipyards, speaking with the Man of Gondor who was explaining the repairs that were required. At the end of their conversation, he provided Urken with a long, itemized list which totalled all the items that would be fixed or replaced. When Urken saw the final figure, he blanched.

"This is half a kingdom," he growled.

"But I understand it does not come from your pocket, but that of your companion."

"That may be true," he retorted, but in the country where I am from, a man stands beside the friends he travels with." And Urken meant those words. His business affairs were his own secret, but he wished Fuinur no ill. The man could not sail a ship to save his soul, but he was a decent companion and an accomplished warrior on the land. Urken bargained with the craftsman several minutes, and managed to get a small reduction in the total, still not enough to make the figure to his liking.

Still, they promised the ship would be ready in one more day. Now, if only he knew that his other affairs would fall in line, but he could not count on that. The risk there was much greater. He'd just have to wait and see.

"I will bring these totals to my companion. He will pay you."

The craftsman laughed, "From what I hear, your friend may have exhausted his funds."

Urken looked at him annoyed, "Do not speak like this. Say clearly what you mean!"

The man shook his head, "Only this, your friend is making a spectacle of himself in the less reputable part of town. Drink, women, gambling, you name it. He's surely spent a small fortune."

Wnraged and furious, Urken looked at the man and grabbed him by the collar, "Watch your tongue, woodcarver, or I will carve you into pieces. And I want those repairs done on time!"

But, to himself, Urken wondered. Had the wonders of the port swept all good sense away? Just what had Fuinur been doing these past few days?

Now, what was the name of the inn where he was staying? And then he remembered. He sat down and addressed a note to Fuinur at the King's Palace. The King's Palace? Ah, that was at least a respectable place.

He gave the note to the messenger and slipped him a few coins for his services.
The letter presented Fuinur with the totals for the ship repair, and asked to meet him that evening. Urken laughed. That meeting should put a crimp in Fuinur's roving ways. For he intended to have a serious talk with the man.

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]