View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:27 AM   #31
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Lal, if by "pulp" you are picking up on my reference to the works of HP Lovecraft, I am afraid that I will have to disagree with you. He is often given this label and I acknowledge that his works are not considered literary classics. Then again, we often complain that Tolkien's works similarly are not accorded classic status. I would argue that Lovecraft's works are actually a lot better than he is generally given credit for and are certainly not deserving of the "pulp" label they seem to have acquired.
Not at all! Blimey, 'pulp' is the last thing I'd call Lovecraft! Not least of all as Lovecraft often featured on reading lists on the various modules available for study on my degree (Gothic, Modern Horror etc). Lovecraft is one of the clasic writers in the Gothic/Horror genre you'll be pleased to know.

I'll admit now I've not read much - but I'm sure I've spied a Lovecraft book on the shelf at home so I might give it a whirl.