View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 04:46 AM   #15
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
Notice Frodo's use of the phrase "I do" when Elrond asked him to reafirm his commitment to be Ringbearer? I might just be the better choice of words, but it eerily sounds like Frodo is binding himself to the Ring in marriage.
The exact quote runs as follows:

Quote:
Elrond summoned the hobbits to him. He looked gravely at Frodo. 'The time has come,' he said. `If the Ring is to set out, it must go soon. But those who go with it must not count on their errand being aided by war or force. They must pass into the domain of the Enemy far from aid. Do you still hold to your word, Frodo, that you will be the Ring-bearer?'
'I do,' said Frodo. `I will go with Sam.'
Minor points: that adds up to the theory I held at a time - that Frodo, Sam and Gollum (as a whole) form in the end some symbol of personality of the whole Fallen Humankind. Symbol of Fallen Humankind which made marriage with symbol of Evil - that's an eye-opener, and no mistake, Nilpaurion . Good it ended up in a divorce. With strikes me - was 'Great Divorce' by C.S.Lewis already published at a time?

Not to stray off chapter itself, I suggest you can post your views on the subject in the thread Frodo or the Ring, or more recent Why Did Frodo Volunteer, otherwise set up a new thread for it.

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote