View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #96
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, double-post, which may help us and also perhaps ignore the rant above (I spent about three quarters an hour with searching all this stuff... gah) I decided, just when leaving, to look up also on Wikipedia.

Does not anybody have some kind of HoME with calendars with marked Durin's Day for each year of the Third Age, or something like that? It would make things a lot easier...

Anyway, the Wikipedia - what surprised me was the information I found there, which differed completely from the above but went close to Groin's countings:

Quote:
The first day of the last new moon of Autumn could thus take place any time between about November 22 and December 21.
But then it continues:

Quote:
However, the seasons in Tolkien's work have the four solar markers at the center of the seasons, not the beginning. For example, Midsummer occurs on the summer solstice, Midwinter on the winter solstice, etc. Autumn would therefore begin midway between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox in early August and end midway between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice, usually around November 6.
That sounds a lot better, because in the LotR calendar, Nov 6 would be Nov 16 (not much of a difference for us anyway). Thus, our Nov 10, when Balin dies, would be really "around" the date supported by Wikipedia.

I have no idea, though, as I don't see into these countings at all, which information is more relevant. But we may as well take for relevant the one that fits us more, what do you say

In any case, I would be more inclined to support the idea of Balin going out on Durin's Day.

And now, I am going to be late for class...
Actually, I won't. For simple reason:
*dies*
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories