View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 07:42 PM   #76
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
The second Linduial walked through the door into the great room her bearing completely changed, years of training and learning kicking in instantly. It was almost as if a different young woman walked into the room than had walked into the inn: this girl was tall, slim, and straight, her face austere and proud; rather coldly beautiful. A suitor had once told her that if the legends of Mithrellas were true, then she was the proof, and it had taken poor Marenil weeks to cut her back down to size.

Not that he disagreed, but this public ice-maiden her tutors had created was certainly not the proof. No, the proof was in her eyes, still dancing with warmth, heat even, as though the coolness of her carriage demanded some opposite balance in her eyes.

Marenil stepped forward carefully to greet the pretty young woman who came to greet them. In her bearing he detected much the same training as his Lin had had, but none of the ice, and he hoped that in her stay here, Lin might learn graciousness. Having practically raised the young woman behind him, he certainly didn't miss the traces of tears in her eyes, but he knew Lin would never notice, and he was far too much of a gentleman to bring it up.

"My lady," he said courteously, bowing. "I am Marenil, and I am guardian of Lady Linduial of Dol Amroth, kinswoman of the Prince, and of his daughter Lothiriel, who is known to you. My Lord Farlen has given his blessing to his daughter's desire to live in Rohan for a spell, and the Queen Lothiriel told us in a letter that she might find lodgings here."

He paused for breath, determined to get the whole request out at once so that he could rest. His breath seemed to be coming a little short. "I request that the Lord of this hall offer his protection to the Lady Linduial, that I might return home to fulfill the duties of my oath" --he took a deep breath, unconsciously lifting his right hand to his chest-- "to her father." He was hurting a little, in his chest. "If you could" --a ragged breath. The pain was getting worse-- "present me to him..."

The rest of his speech was forgotten as a sudden spell of dizziness overcame him and he toppled to the floor, clutching a hand to his chest and gasping. Lin's cool, proper demeanor was abandoned instantly, and she threw herself at his side, uselessly taking a hand and crying that someone help her. Marenil was her compass and her guide, he'd taught her the best of everything she knew, and in this crisis all she could see was that the tall tree she leaned on was falling before her eyes. She panicked, unable to see anything but the withered hand of her dearest friend, nor hear anything but his labored breathing.