View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #55
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Helen,
To repeat what Aylwen said our first posts are on the way. It's quite necessary for me to do mine and post it before she can do her own, so she's waiting on me. I hope to have it finished quite soon.

As for the survey, here you are:

Name (that you go by): Generally my first name, which I shall not mention, but other times Nurumaiel
Occupation: I don’t like to consider anything I do as work, but sometimes I sing, sometimes I play music, and occasionally I’ll take the stage.
Future Aspirations: I really want nothing in life save perhaps going back home to my river again. Indeed it isn’t even Heaven I look forward to, for what I want is to have served God in the way that pleases Him [b]regardless of what happens to me.
Goal in life: Just that… to serve God as He wishes regardless of anything that may come of it.
Short term goals: I’d like to go on a grand hunt to find old ballads and songs that I don’t already know… like I said earlier I’d like to go home to my river and live there till the day I die.
Passion: That is a bit of a strong word. I love dearest my Lord and then my Lady, sweet Mother Mary.
Hobbies: Singing, I do suppose. I enjoy acting... on the stage... I enjoy learning songs and stories that I don’t know, and I love to ramble out and away when evening approaches.
Famous for (brag about yourself): I don’t know if I’d like to be famous, but I particularly enjoy being famous amongst dear friends and relatives because they like me. I suppose the tin whistle might count for something, though.
Fave book: I don’t think I need say Lord of the Rings? Fabiola is excellent, as are the books by Father Finn. I don’t see a favorite play category so I’ll slip Shakespeare into this one... and others, though I just can’t seem to recall right now...
Fave movie: Again, Lord of the Rings is a given. I also very much loved Seven Samurai. And Throne of Blood was very good, too. I haven’t seen the Passion movie yet but while I don’t think I’ll enjoy it very much I also don’t think it could make me a worse Catholic. I also have high hopes for the movie Thérèse.
Fave sport: Probably football… it runs in the family.
Fave store: Bookstores are fine, and music stores are also fine, though nowadays the selection of really good music is very limited.
Fave music: Irish music/songs, I suppose. I can’t really help it. I grew up with it. I really hate to go into this subject because it’s been a long-lasting joke amongst my brothers and I to, when we’re asked to state our favorite music, compliment ourselves.
What you can't stand: see below
What you plain dislike: Abortion. The majority (not all) of singers nowadays. I hesitate to call it music.
Who you admire: I do admire most of the saints, in particular the early Church martyrs
What you most love to do: See ‘Hobbies’
Your self-confessed flaws: I often become too homesick... but as for real flaws? I don’t like to take anything seriously. If I can’t make it fun I don’t like to do it. I have a rather quick temper and am often impatient. In fact, let me put it this way: I have so many faults that it would take pages to write them all down... I’m not very good.
What intrigues/fascinates you: the saints. It never ceases to amaze me what they’re willing to go through for Christ.
What scares you: I’m often tempted to be afraid of things but I try my utmost to fear nothing but falling into sin.
Quotation to live by: There are so many I can’t even begin. One that particularly struck my fancy, however, was that the greatest honor to any man is to suffer for Christ...

Value-specific:
What do you want most in a friend? This is difficult to say. I hate to say a friend that’s Catholic, because some of my best friends aren’t, but perhaps it would be safe to say that what I want most is a friend who would at least make a wonderful Catholic?
What do you want most in a teacher? see above
What do you want most in an ally? see above
What do you want most in a team-mate? see above
What do you want people to remember most about you? I might like it better if no one remembered me at all, but I would accept people remembering me as long as I hadn’t lived my life so they would, but I had lived my life for God.

Writer-specific:
Your favorite work you've written so far: I haven’t finished any yet, so I can’t say.
Your favorite character so far: I love them all, I truly do
What you plan to write soon: A historical book, either about the early Church times during the persecutions or perhaps the potato famine.
What inspires you to write: Everything inspires me to write. Something someone says or does; majestic cliffs rising over the sea; a song of love and heroes and battle... anything.
What makes your writing stall: The desire to stop writing in fear that someone might not like that I’m a Catholic and that my views are Catholic, though that’s easily dealt with. And, of course, when a certain little hobbit in the family goes to the hospital...
Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? I do get writer’s block, and often. What I always do is act out the scenes from my book. Generally I still have the ideas, I just don’t want/don’t know how to write them down on paper. I’ll get simple props (sticks as swords, etc.) and act it out by myself or with others until I get myself excited and willing to write again.

Middle-Earth specific:
Your favorite ME character(s)? I do like them all. Save, of course, those evil ones.
What do you like about them? If I’m to be bold, I love them because Tolkien was Roman Catholic and that shines out so clearly in his characters to my eyes.
Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy? I did enjoy it all. In all truth I cannot think of any specific moment that was my favorite of favorites, just as I can’t pick out for anyone my favorite song.
Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy? As a writer I have to like them all.
Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Perhaps a hobbit... I love to sing, to dance, to simply have a wonderful time, and to look out a window and see a little town with wonderful people and a sweet river pleases me more than looking out to see majestic castles and armies... well, actually, just armies. I like to look out and see all that I mentioned with the addition of a majestic castle.
What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Any race that doesn’t live forever, can travel but still have a lovely home to return to, and most importantly enjoys singing and playing music and telling grand old tales.
What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? I wouldn’t like to live in Middle-earth. I know that’s rather... er... horrid to say such a thing. But, you see, the Shire may have green grass and lovely rivers and friendly, kind people, and the other lands of Middle-earth may have majestic castles, but none of them can compare with my lovely river and friendly, kind people and majestic castle and everything else.
Where would you want to visit? Why? Visiting is a different matter. I like to go exploring. Everywhere, I suppose. It might be nice to even get a peek of Mordor in the sense that I can then say I did. ‘Tis like the hideous rollercoasters you don’t necessarily want to ride but you want to have ridden them.
How would you travel? On foot, with a horse and a dog, and my family.
Besides the usual camping & travel stuff, what single special item is in your knapsack and why? A certain tin whistle is because I can’t even begin to imagine how lonely I’d be without it. And not just any tin whistle, but a very special tin whistle that I’ve grown very attached to. I’d also bring my hat from Donegal so I could tuck my hair up into it and out of my face when it gets annoying.