View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 04:01 PM   #245
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Isabel

Isabel listened with interest as Edelis described the scene that had taken place just prior to her and Avarlond's arrival at the inn. Her large blue eyes widened in amazement as she heard tell of the lovely elven woman's brandishing a knife...and, in front of her children, no less.

"This lady must be some sort of renegade!" finished Edelis breathlessly. "I only wish she would speak a little louder."

"Me, too!" rejoined Isabel, covering her eager smile with a carefully manicured hand. She cut a quick glance under half-lowered eyelashes in the direction of the elven woman's party and was surprised to see Avarlond standing on the fringe of the group, his attention focused on the woman Edelis said had been brandishing a knife not five minutes earlier.

"Oh, dear!" Isabel gasped, turning quickly back toward her companion. "Don't look," she said urgently. "But it seems Avarlond is waiting to speak to her."

"Really?" Edelis leaned back and took a long look in Avarlond's direction. "My goodness, I think you're right. Do you suppose that's the captain's wife he came to see?"

Isabel sat up very straight in her chair. "Oh, I hope not," she whispered. "It would make me worry so for Airefalas. I mean, if the wife is hanging about brandishing knives in front of her children, what sort of cutthroat is the husband? Hmm?" She clasped her elegant hands dramatically in front of her. "The man could be a pirate for all we know."

Edelis took another long look at the elven woman on the other side of the room, then shook her head, more than a touch of skepticism entering her dark eyes. "Oh, surely not."

Isabel turned in her chair and took a long look of her own in the direction of the elven woman. Then, she, too, shook her head. "No, I think not," she pronounced after a moment. "She hasn't the look of a cutthroat. As a matter of fact, her children are quite presentable. Not little pirate urchins at all."

"No, not at all," agreed Edelis. "They are quite attractive little people. Lovely manners, I must say... aside from suggesting that their mother might kill someone right here in the common room."

"Well, as they say," rejoined Isabel. "Out of the mouths of babes..."

"What?" asked Edelis with interest.

"What do you mean?" asked Isabel in response.

"Out of the mouths of babes, what?" persisted Edelis.

Isabel felt genuinely perplexed. What was the rest of that saying? She had heard it her entire life, but for the life of her, couldn't think how it ended. Finally, she laughed and threw up her hands. "Fly dragons, of course!"

Edelis laughed and Isabel felt pleased with herself for being such a wit, but, even as she laughed and joked with her friend, her thoughts strayed constantly to Airefalas and, by association, Avarlond. Airefalas, she knew, was an experienced seafarer. He had been at sea in one capacity or another since he was a wee boy of nine, and was well-respected as a first mate and, more recently, as a captain himself. Then that unfortunate event in the Bay of Belfalas, when he lost one of Avarlond's ships to corsairs. Isabel sighed. He had only recently been ransomed back with his crew when he and Avarlond had gotten into that horrible row. It wasn't as though Airefalas could have helped losing his ship, but, no, Avarlond had reduced him from command, anyway. It wasn't fair. Avarlond could be such an unforgiving man. So, Airefalas had left his brother's firm and signed on for the voyage on the Lonely Star. Isabel looked again at the elven woman, wondering if she knew what a good officer she and her husband had gotten for their voyage.

Isabel missed Airefalas terribly, though she didn't wish to admit to anyone quite how much. While he was away at sea frequently, his absence usually didn't trouble her much. She usually had plenty to do to amuse herself around Minas Tirith, but this time it just felt different. He had gone to Umbar, where everyone knew things were still a bit touchy. Anything could happen. She wondered what tidings Avarlond would hear from Miss Piosenniel. She wanted desperately to be in on the conversation, but knew that Avarlond would not allow it. She knew he thought of her as silly and pointless, with no head for anything but parties and pretty dresses. All her presence would do is confuse the issue. Well, whatever he managed to learn, she supposed she would find out soon enough.

Turning once again toward Edelis, Isabel smiled pleasantly. The serving maid was just returning with their wine. They would drink a glass to Airefalas and pray together for his safe return. And... she gave Edelis a considering look... the safe return of Edelis' husband as well. Wasn't he somewhere abroad, too? Investigating new markets or some such thing. They would drink a glass for him, too.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:05 PM December 16, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]