View Single Post
Old 02-04-2004, 03:02 AM   #92
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Gondor

‘What’s ammë doing now?’

The plaintive whisper was hushed at once by a growled shh! from Cami’s right. Isilmir pulled his little sister close to him on the hearth and drew her in near to the fireplace opening. The fireplace in the dining room abutted the small one in the kitchen, and shared a common chimney. With the dampers open, the children discovered they could hear conversations in the adjacent room.

Gilwen leaned in close to Cami, trying to satisfy her sister’s curiosity. ‘She just got up from the table. I think she’s getting more tea for herself. And she asked Baran if he wanted some.’ Gilwen nudged her brother on the arm. ‘Did she put it away?’ she whispered. ‘Not yet,’ he murmured, shaking his head. ‘I think Baran is still looking at it.’ They could hear the faint rustle of paper as some maps were looked at and rolled up again to be stowed in their leather tube.

‘She didn’t notice, did she?’ Gilwen pulled Cami onto her lap, settling her in against her. ‘I don’t think so,’ said Isilmir, a guilty grin stealing onto his face. ‘And you’re lucky she didn’t,’ he added, reaching over to pull at Cami’s hair. A loud ‘Ow!’ ensued, followed by a brief scuffle and a round of hushes and thumps.

‘I didn’t mean to do it,’ sniffled Cami, one fat tear trailing down her cheek. Gilwen hugged her close, glaring at her brother. ‘Oh, it’s alright,’ he said scooting closer to pat her on the leg. ‘But next time, don’t use ammë’s colored inks to paint on her maps.

‘Shhhh!’ hissed Gilwen. ‘They’re talking again . . .’

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-07-2004 at 12:28 PM.