View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #18
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I haven't voted yet, but I have to say that I doubt it is Peregrin. I take the question to mean that if the Fellowship never broke and Frodo still carried the Ring, who would fall next, not 'if it fell into someone's hands, who would succumb to it?' If that were the case, well...I think if anyone had it long enough they would succumb.

Anyhow, taking the question as I percieve it (i.e. Frodo carries it, the others see it now and again and it's always near them, who falls next?), I don't think Pippin would even care. Several here have said that because of his witlessness and his proneness to curiosity he would have fallen, but I say because of his lack of knowledge and lack of contact with the thing, he would hardly be aware of its presence. He sees no application for it (like Boromir saw it as a weapon, or other people might see it as power) and he can only see the misery it brings. Like a child, he'll do his utmost to avoid that.

Until later, then, when I figure out who I think WOULD be next...