View Single Post
Old 05-18-2004, 04:59 PM   #139
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
"Mae," Aylwen began, pulling the girl away for a moment. Aylwen hated to see Mae whimper or whine, but understood Bethberry's better judgement in wanting Mae to learn. "You may go off with Hearpwine while he competes. But, the minute his last note fades, you must run back here. You will not stay to find out how he has fared, or if he has achieved his goal. That is my suggestion...to wait and work while the King deliberates. More excitement, I assure you, and working will get your mind off whether or not your friend Hearpwine has become chief bard. We can all celebrate when he comes home!" Mae nodded at this, however slowly. Aylwen turned back to face Hearpwine. "Now, off with you! You will want to get there early to practice and see your competitors. It starts mid-morning. Off with you both!"

Aylwen watched with a sigh as Hearpwine rose. Liornung did as well, leading Mae out the door. Aylwen looked to Liornung and shrugged. The Innkeeper smiled weakly at Liornung before she went to go and get Ælle's order. When she retuend with his plate she set it down gently, but even with the slight shiver he looked up from his cane and into Aylwen's eyes. The Innkeeper awed at the funny milky...misty...color for a moment before looking away so as not to be rude.

"I was never afraid of losing my sight. I was only afraid of becoming blind..." Ælle murmured, taking Aylwen aback. Such a strange thing to say... Aylwen thought.

"Is it not the same thing, Master Ælle?"

"There is every difference in the world," Ælle answered distantly. "Losing the use of my eyes taught me a different way of seeing. I could not see someone, but I could touch and see that they were real. See the life. If I were blind, I would not know the difference between believing and seeing."

"Forgive me, Master Ælle, but what brings you here to Rohan...to the White Horse?" Aylwen asked, incredibly curious.

Last edited by Aylwen Dreamsong; 05-18-2004 at 07:35 PM. Reason: We all begin with good intent...