View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 10:26 AM   #46
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Slightly back on topic, I made efforts today to counter my teacher's algebraic teachings while I was with a third grader from a local elementary school. I'm in a class here in which we are assigned to tutor/counsel troubled students from 1st to 8th grades. I actually have four kids, but this certain third grader was recommened by his teacher for help with social skills and reading, which means I get to take an hour out of my school day to chat and read with little kids! Anyway, this one boy lead me to the library where he showed me his favorite book (a picture book describing a pond...aw how cute) and then asked me if I could help him read "big kid books", because this book was in the first grade section and he was embarrassed that he hadn't joined his peers in the third grade reading level. So I hope to introduce him to the Hobbit (do you think that's to much?) Perhaps I'll read it to him while he follows along, but either way, I'm very excited and hope I can get him off to a good start so he'll be able to recognize the silliness I'm experiencing in twelfth grade.