View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #32
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Hey, I know I told Awylen that I didn't think I would have time to particapate in this story, but I have since re-thought my decision, one of my rpgs is about to end and this story and its characters looks to interesting to pass up, so here is my submission for your perusal. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Name: Astalder

Race: Men (Gondorian)

Appearance: Tall, with dark shoulder length fine wavy hair, which is usually neatly tied at the nape of his neck. His complexion is tanned from Gondors warm summers and his eyes are a soft and thoughtful greyish blue.

He wears the usual attire of a requen of Gondor, though he finds armour restrictive he relents to his wife's pleas and wears a shirt of light chain mail under his uniform and a Gondorian helm when the need arises.

At his left side he carries a Gondorian long sword and on either side of the blade, just below the guard is engraved the white tower of the fallen city of Minas Ithil, with a full moon risen above it, an heirloom from that once great city. Around the black leather bound grip is tied a white ribbon, a favour from his wife, a reminder of his promise to always return to her. Astalder also carries a standard issue Gondorian dagger.

Personality: Through both his mother and his marriage to Fëawyn he can claim the title of lord, but he chooses not too, believing that Gondor has enough lords to contend with. He is strong in his belief that he can serve his people better in his current position as a Requen in Gondors army.

He is fiercely loyal to those he serves under and along side. When performing his duties he is diligent and meticulous. At first meeting he seems quiet and reserved, but once a person gets to know him, they soon learn that he is a good man to have around, always thinking things through, When in battle he always seems to be one step ahead of his enemies.

At home he is a kind and loving husband and father, who would do anything to protect them.

History: Astalder was born in the year 2828 in the Gondorian capital of Minas Tirith, his mother is the daughter of a minor lord and his father a commander in the cities guards. At the age of eighteen, like his father he enlisted into the cities guards, but when trouble began to brew in the east and for their allies in the north he drafted to the army, fighting minor skirmished on their borders he worked his way up to the position of Roquen.

In his fourteen years of service he has fought many battles and was even dispatched with his company to aid King Folca of Rohan, against the orcs that troubled his lands.

It was in Rohan that he met and eventually married his wife, Lady Fëawyn, the youngest daughter of a minor horse lord of Edoras. When Lord Belecthor the steward of Gondor recalled his men, Fëawyn consented to return with him to the stone city. For many years they lived happily in the white city, but after the birth of their only son, Falmir, He began to notice that his wife missed the wide open plains of her homeland. Although he loved her very much he could not bring himself to desert his homeland as trouble again began to brew in the south.

But his wife being as wise as she was beautiful, suggested a compromise. There was a new settlement being established along the poros, which like her homelands had vast open grasslands, where she could rear horses, but the situation of the settlement so close to the Harad road troubled him. But Fëawyn excited at the prospect of again breeding and caring for horses convinced him that with him and the stewards men protecting them they would be quiet safe.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

First Post

Standing at the window of his new home Astalder looked east to watch the sunrise over the distant looming mountains of Ephel Dúath, as he did every morning since they arrive at the small settlement they planned to call home. The dawn's first rays painted the sky in pale hues of orangey red and to him the mountains seemed dark and ominous against that back drop.

"Red sky at morning, Soldiers warning!" he frowned remembering the Gondorian proverb, But his frown faded as he felt the loving arms of his wife wrap around his waist.

"Isn't it beautiful?" she sighed contentedly. looking again, but not so far a field, he saw that she was right, the river glistened in the soft glow, the open grasslands swayed in the dawn breeze and the new buildings of the settlement gave the feel of a quiet sleepy village. But even as he turned away several of the sleepy houses opened their door and in a few hours the village would be alive with the bustle of people going about their daily chores. As he turned he took his wife into his arms and kissed her tenderly.

"Now what was that for?" she grinned as he released her.

"Does a husband need a reason to show his affection and gratitude!" he laughed.

"Indeed not" she replied with a laugh of her own.

"Now you best be getting dressed or you will be late!" she smiled, then turned and went down stairs to finish preparing breakfast. With a contented smile he quickly washed and dressed, then lifting his belt and sword he made his way down stairs to join his family for breakfast.

"Papa!" an excited voice cried as he entered the kitchen, putting aside his sword he was assailed by his young fair headed son.

"Good morning little one" he smiled down at the child.

"Captain Falmir!" His son exclaimed pulling away and puffing out his chest proudly.

"A Captain eh! Well good morning Captain Falmir" he saluted playfully.

"At ease soldier!" Falmir laughed then threw himself into his fathers arms, laughing Astalder threw the boy onto his shoulders and circled the large wooden table in the centre of the room, pretending to be the lads mount. But on their third pass they were blocked by the smiling face of Fëawyn.

"It's time for my brave soldiers to eat their breakfast," she laughed, gently lifting falmir from his fathers shoulders and sitting him at the table. As he took his seat Fëawyn took the kettle from the fire and poured him some tea. "Thank you!" he whispered appreciatively as he listened to all that his son had planed for the day. All too soon breakfast was over and it was time for him to leave. Lifting his sword he buckled it about his waist and pulled on his boots.

"I will see you both tonight" he said, kissing his wife's cheek, "And you my young captain, keep out of trouble and help your mother!" he grinned with a wink, then lifting his saddle bags from the hook by the door and went to the stable to retrieve his horse. They had arrived in the village just over a month ago but he was due leave and he took it so as to help with the building of their cottage and the stables and paddocks for Fëawyn's horses. Leading his horse from the stables he looked around pleased at his work. Both his wife and son had made new friends and it was time for him to make sure they remained safe in their new found happiness. Mounting his horse he set out to meet his new captain and begin his new post.