View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 07:29 PM   #15
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Greetings All

Hail and well met! as I might well say, this being Rohan and all. I thought I should signal my intention to fill up the third 'baddie' position, before all the spots are taken! Thanks for the invite, Orual, I have recently been thinking about doing some writing and wasn't sure what to put my energies into! Great timing... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

My character isn't fully-formed yet, but I'll provide you with a few hints and details. The amount of information you will all find out about him will naturally be less than everything. I will construct enough backstory for him to seem realistic, but it will mainly be currently relevant things that come through. For instance, you may never discover his mother's name (among many other things), unless the fact somehow becomes relevant. Not that there is any great mystery to the character, just that I will only post details that I feel to be pertinent to the topic at hand. Wow, that made no sense. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Gimilzôr of Harad

Probable name for the character at this stage is Gimilzôr. He will be a lower ranking commander in the army, equivalent to a modern sergeant. He will command a section of infantry, presumably placed under the direction of Lan'Kâsh, but could be changed to a horseman if the situation dictates that we need cavalry. I would think not, however, as that will probably complicate the battle unnecessarily, and horsemen seem to be rare among the Haradrim (based on accounts of the Pelennor Fields).

It is my belief that the armies of Harad would come from diverse tribal backgrounds. Gimilzôr is the name of my character in what I assume to be the common tongue of the south (derivative of Adûnaic or Númenórean), but not his name by birth. He does not come from a noble background, being basically a peasant that has found a career in the army. He does not speak overmuch, and says more with a laugh or a gap-toothed, sometimes wicked smile than he does with words. He is one of the older and more venerable sergeants of the Haradrim, mid-30s at least, with a large disfiguring battle scar showing his experience in warfare.

He is well-versed in smaller village-type warfare, though not experienced in the type of full-scale conflict that may result if the Army of Gondor is called out to help the settlers. In fact, most of his battles to date have been against poorly armed villages, quelling revolts and gathering tribute. The spoils from these type of attacks are often great, and Gimilzôr is not above any of the more depraved acts that are committed in the name of war. It is not for nothing that the settlers fear the approach of the armies of the Southrons.

Gimilzôr takes great pride in his position in the army, and in his arms and armour. His motivation in the attack on Gondor is duty and love of battle more than any deep-seated resentment towards the Men of the West, although his demanding gods require that the infidels of the North be destroyed by his people one day. He will remain loyal to his superiors as long as he perceives they are brave, following orders and fighting for the glory of Harad. Hope this is enough to go on for now.