View Single Post
Old 05-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #18
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Expanding on what Hilde said here:
Quote:
But another curious thing to me was that Tolkien writes that Sméagol/Gollum had bowed down and worshipped Shelob. I understand why Gollum might be mentioned but why is Sméagol named here? Is this a hint about his basic nature?
Quote:
Already, years before, Gollum had beheld her, Smeagol who pried into all dark holes, and in past days he had bowed and worshipped her, and the darkness of her evil will walked through all the ways of his weariness beside him, cutting him off from light and from regret.
It seems to me that what this is saying is that Gollum beheld her and bowed down and worshipped her, whereas Sméagol was the part who rooted around in the dark tunnels and such. The commas would seem to indicate that the "Smeagol...dark holes" part of the sentence is separate. I would take this further and say that this would imply that it is Gollum, not Smeagol per se, who is involved with Shelob, and this would make sense bearing in mind Smeagol's almost-redemption after coming back from Shelob. Also of interest: the use of the name Smeagol here would seem to be important. The only time Tolkien uses Smeagol in the narrative is when it is essential to distinguish between Gollum and Smeagol, such as when they are talking to each other. "Smeagol" is used almost wholly in diaglogue.

Also posted by Hilde:
Quote:
Another facet that adds to the disturbing mood of the chapter is the “fey mood” Sam feels his master is in, after freeing himself of the tunnel. Sam does seem the only grounded thing in the whole surreal episode, and by the end he also seems so dreadfully alone.
I found this very odd. Frodo tends to be a clear-headed character, especially as the book progresses. Even when he does 'lose it,' it tends to be more along the lines of panic (cf. The Shadow of the Past). This fey mood seems very out of character for Frodo, and feels very ominous and disturbing - especially after his excellent display of courage in facing Shelob in the tunnel. I suppose this would be the release of the tension of Torech Ungol, but it still feels very disturbing.

The final point I would like to make concerns Gollum's plan. Compare these two quotes, only a paragraph apart from each other:
Quote:
Everything had gone wrong with his beautiful plan, since that horrible light had so unexpectedly appeared in the darkness. And now he was face to face with a furious enemy, little less than his own size. This fight was not for him.
Quote:
...the thought of Frodo and the monster smote upon Sam's mind. He spun round, and rushed wildly up the path, calling and calling his master's name. He was too late. So far Gollum's plot had succeeded.
Now, these would seem to contradict each other: first everything had gone wrong, but suddenly it is succeeding? I think the difference may be in the perspective. As far as Gollum can tell, nothing is going right. He had not accounted for the Phial, and he made the mistake of underestimating Sam. However, if the whole picture is looked at, Gollum's plot really was working, if not in the way he intended. Even if not inside the tunnel, he had managed to keep Frodo separate from Sam (and Frodo from the Phial), allowing Shelob to have her way with Frodo, which was really Gollum's hope, because Frodo had the Ring. He wanted Sam dead, of course, if more for personal reasons, but the Ring was his real goal here. Perhaps also the difference is in the wording: his plan failed, but his plot was succeeding. If all continued as was going, his ultimate goal would be achieved even if it hadn't gone according to his plan.

Oh, yes, and what a lovely note to end the chapter on: "He was too late. So far Gollum's plot had succeeded."
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote