View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #39
Saurondil
Animated Skeleton

Saurondil has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Tilion deserves every burn he gets. Another thing I don't get on Tumblr: people swoon over characters like Maeglin because he's tall, dark and handsome - and, the little thing that's easy to overlook, whiny and clingy: "Idril y u no love me??!"

I've started compiling a list of every character's appearance, at least what's mentioned of them, because that way I won't have to dampen my inspiration by browsing through all the books first before starting to draw. (Yeah, one would probably be available online, but it's more fun this way.)
## Maeglin needed to go into therapy - he must have been horribly traumatised by:

the disharmony between his parents

the death of his mother at the hands of his father

seeing the execution of his father by Turgon

being in Turgon's service

longing for Idril for a long, long time

being turned down by Idril (like Feanor by Galadriel)

seeing Tuor win Idril.

Maeglin is a rootless character - security & affection are both very important, and he didn't get them, but the opposite: his mother even used him as a pawn in her relations with his father. His entire paediatric development was mucked up. Little wonder he went to the bad. He's marked down as bad in a way Feanor is not: "...and indeed desire for Idril and hatred for Tuor led Maeglin the easier to his treachery, most infamous in all the histories of the Elder Days".

http://www.freebook4u.org/fantasticf...lon/15576.html

Which is all very well, but Feanor has to take a lot of the blame, surely ? Bad staff is romantic in a way that good stuff isn't - Ar-Pharazon is a humongously bad king, but he's a fascinating character. Evil is glamorous.

Last edited by Saurondil; 03-07-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Saurondil is offline   Reply With Quote