View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #335
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
And speaking of the bittersweet, I assign giving up smoking (which lends the thread a certain symmetry, as cigarettes were one of the things I mentioned in my original post). It's good for me, it's saving me money and it means that I am no longer an outcast in public places, but I really really miss my cigarettes, even after 9 months, and especially when sitting at the computer and wandering the Downs.
That's good man, giving up smoking really belongs to the Shire but it takes a long time before you realise it. 9 month isn't quite enough I'm afraid, but you'll get there eventually. The witch-hunt for smokers is worthy of Mordor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.
I'm staring to think I'm the only man alive who's yet to read a Stieg Larsson book - and I'm Swedish too. That dead man's success is unbelievable, but I just can't shake the instinctive feeling that if everyone loves him so much he can't be any good. It's silly I know, and eventually I'll probably read him, but the whole thing reminds me too much of the mass hysteria another book I haven't read brought on, namely The DaVinci Code.