View Single Post
Old 06-27-2003, 09:44 AM   #35
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aredhel, I suppose it is possible for Finwë to have such a recessive trait. My own parents were brown haired both (one green eyed and one brown eyed), but my brother is blonde and blue eyed. That means my brown eyed, brown haired mother must have had a recessive blonde in there. Perhaps it is so with Finwë. What exactly are the mechanics of red haired children though? (Would much rather discuss why Maedhros' hair is red than why Legolas' may be blonde, but only for matters of visualization! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) And while we're at it, what color was Frodo's hair? Hobbits are generally brown haired, but in an addendum (unpublished) to LOTR, Sam is telling his children that Pippin's hair was "almost golden". Fallohide trait? I suppose that would be brown with blonde highlights. And how in the world did hobbits suddenly start coming out with blonde children (viz. Elanor) when it had been supremely uncommon before? I wonder if it is an external representation of heroic legend at work here, rather than genetics! What was Rosie Cotton's coloring? Or did Sam get some genetic modifications while he was in Mordor? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Now I'm getting outlandish! I've had a lot of coffee too, Aredhel! Speculation about trivia such as this can be fun!

And Finwë, I like your ideas, so don't worry about it! I enjoy speculations, and the time that someone believes a topic is not worthwhile is the point at which he or she should find other topics that suit better! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”