View Single Post
Old 08-16-2002, 12:19 PM   #15
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

Quote:
Perhaps you could expand/ explain your question so that it makes sense to me.
Sure, I'll try to form a coherent idea out of my inarticulate jargon.

Speaking strictly in the context of the story, my question is can an event be considered a eucatastrophe if it happens more than once? Meaning that can a extraordinary event take place in a story the same way (or almost the same way) twice or more, and still be considered "never to be counted on to recur?" If something happens a certain way twice or more then it may happen again.

To me that seems to dilute the value of this experience of seeing, in a miraculous and unexpected fashion, the triumph of Good over Evil (to cite an example) if it happens the same way more than once. If the "unexpected" starts happening over and over it ceases to be unexpected. The key is that the eucatastrophe be unrepeatable.

This is not to say that there could not be more than one eucatastrophe in a story, but I don't believe that it should happen the same way twice. It needs to be different circumstances and a different "unexpected."

I hope that clarified. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]