View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #72
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I think Old Nokes also has his place there. This article here says that a Noke is a type of worm. I don't know if Tolkien was aware of that, or if he was simply choosing a common name, but it is certainly quite fitting.
I have little doubt that Tolkien was intentional in using Nokes if it had the meaning of "worm" in it.

Quote:
To tell you the truth, I don't really understand what you mean by "this mirror". Are you referring to Faerie?
Sorry, no. I will endeavor to be more clear. In "the mirror" I am looking at who I am, having been to Faerie and affected by it. Has it made a difference? Surely. Could it have made more of a difference? Doubtless. What do I want, or am I willing, to do about it, if anything? One cannot approach such a question with the notion of trying to achieve a goal, for it would be like trying to put an Elven thought under a human microscope.

So I find myself as wistful as Smith, having tasted something so amazing and having made so little of it. Do any others feel that?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote