View Single Post
Old 10-01-2002, 12:06 AM   #19
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Well, I haven't been to England myself, neither to US or any other english speaking country. But I certainly have my own mental picture of England, however fantastic (in a sense not grounded on factual knowledge) it may be. It was formed before JRRT by Donald Basset, Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and Scott's warriors. And, though neither one was read by me in english, it was fascinating indeed. And when reading The Hobbit for the first time, I recognised the same spirit and, as I already loved my mental picture of England with it's Charing Cross and people talking to each other politely "Sir", black arrow knights of Stivensson, stories of Robin Hood and whatnot, The Hobbit fitted in perfectly. Though I was not terming the thing as "englishness" at that time, the feeling was there.

And if I don't discuss such "englishness" here on the Downs, 2 reasons may be given:

1 I can't ground discussion on my mental picture" (even though I've read Shippey's books)

2 It's obviously present to me there, or,as Child of the 7th Age termed it, it's basic. Whoever argues breathing is essential? Everybody knows one would die if was ti stop doing it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote