View Single Post
Old 11-10-2003, 11:06 AM   #27
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Quote:
I found this comment to be perhaps a little arrogant in its assumption that if you have a problem with the characterisation in LOTR then you simply aren’t intelligent enough to understand it.
I didn't mean it in that way. People who do read through a book quickly, sometimes just skimming it over to get through it, may not catch everything. I've done this plenty of times myself. If I don't particularly care for a book, or even if I really like it, and just want to see the ending quicker so I know what happens, I will read through it really quickly, and miss a lot of things because I'm not taking it slowly, and thinking about what I'm reading. I missed so much last year when I read LotR the first time! Because I really wanted to know what happened, and how Frodo ended up, if the ring was destroyed, and what happened to everyone. But when I read it again this year, I made myself take it slowly so I could pay more attention to it, and I saw a lot of things I had missed the first time through. I'm sorry if what I said came across as arrogant. I didn't mean it in that way at all.