Thread: The White Horse
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 06:27 PM   #207
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hiri smiled at the stuffy nosed lass. "My story? There is not really much to tell. And I doubt that you would find it interesting." She took a sip of her ale. Parin, noticing her braid was in the broth, pulled it out and shook her head vigorously. "No no! I'm sure that your tale would be quite interesting. Full of adventure and what-not."

"Adventure?" Hiri laughed. "I have had no adventures. I am but a traveler, going where my heart wills me."

"But," Parin protested, "you must have had some adventures! How can you say that traveling is not adventuresome?"

"Traveling, if it is one thing, I would pick cold. I have slept under a bush many a time. That is really all. But, if you wish it, I will tell you my story, at least up to this point. You may find it dull and dreary however." Parin shook her head again, and said firmly, "No, I will not find it dreary, or dull."

Hirilaelin laughed, and said mischieveiously, "Fine then. But remember, you asked for it!" Settling back in her chair, she stretched her legs outin front of her, and took a sip of ale before she began. "I was born in Dale, on thye Long Lake." She paused, and asked Parin, "Have you heard of it? It is near the Lonely Mountain."

Parin nodded. "Indeed. Some of my family lives there." Hiri nodded, satasfied. "Well, as I was saying, I was born in Dale. I had a wonderful time there, but when I was twenty, I decided that I wanted to travel. Dale suddenly seemed small, and my feet restless. I yearned to have some of your "adventure." So, with the blessings of my parents, I left Dale, and journeyed down the river to Mirkwood, where I visited the elves."

'After spending a fair amount of time with the elves of Mirkwood, King Thrainduil decided to send some elves across the Misty Mountains to Rivendell, and I decided to go with them, wanting to see the fabled Imladris as well. Traveling southwest, we came to the high pass. On our way over, a small band of orcs waylayed us, and we lost a man to a poison arrow. We killed the orcs, and continued over to Rivendell."

Parin's eyes were wide open. "You do not call that adventure? It sounds... Well, it sounds adventurous! And dangerous." Hiri laughed. "I suppose that at the time, it was quite an adventure. But I was terrified when the orcs attacked. It was my first "adventure" I suppose, but I performed awfully." She paused to take a sip of her ale, which she noticed was almost empty, then continued.

"As I said, we crossed over to Rivendell, and were recieved warmly. When the others decided to go back to Mirkwood,they offered to take me with them, but I declined. I had decided that I would stay on this side of the Misty Mountains for a time. Also, I had met someone. His name was Cúeledh, and I did not know it at the time, but I was in love with him."

"What hapened?" asked Parin. "Where is he now?"

Hirilaelin sighed. "I do not know. He departed for Valinor, and I have not seen him since." She paused, lost in memories of other times. Parin sat silent. Presently, Hiri stirred, and said, "Where was I? Oh yes. I left Rivendell after a time, and wandered over the lands, living in the wild. I decided to come south, because I had heard tales. And here I am now."

Parin commented slowly, "That was a very adventuresome story I would say."

"Yes, you could say that I suppose. It seemed so at the time at least. Looking back, it seems like no more than a small part of what I have done. But now," she said, "tell me your story! What is a dwarf doing here is Rohan? Where do you come from, and why do you travel? Please stop me if I seem nosy."