View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 12:39 PM   #126
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Dorlas is stronger than any of you, and he has seen further than any of us," Thelian had said softly, and it had been the end of the conversation and argument. It was true, Dorlas had seen it all. He had seen strong friendships shattered, he had seen betrayal and distrust, and so much more in only one day and night. What could he do? There was nothing he could do while still being behind his Elven friend and serving his master at the same time. Dorlas could not back both companions if all they could do was fight.

But had he perhaps prevented Thelian from doing his duty? No, Dorlas had done what was right at the time. He had prevented Thelian from hurting himself with uncertainty being the reason. Perhaps Melost was hurt or wounded, but what could they do when they could not find him in the first place? Dorlas did not see the point in losing Thelian when Melost could be fine or already beyond help.

And what of Arthain? Dorlas did not know Arthain anymore. More than anything else Dorlas wanted to know what his master thought and what Dorlas could do. Was there anything Dorlas could do or be other than the peacekeeper? Was he merely the stitches that kept the group from acting upon impulse? All Dorlas wanted was to help and make things better. However, nothing was better in the aftermath of the night before.

"You and I are bystanders in all of this. We are the ones that they affect without thought. I am not sure if they realize how much it hurts to not be able to help," Thelian murmured when the two squires had found a seat next to the night's fire.

"I think they believe that the extent of their fued reaches only to themselves. Perhaps they do not see that the pain goes much farther than themselves. There is little we can do but watch and make sure it does not escalate out of hand," Dorlas continued, agreeing whole-heartedly with Thelian. Dorlas was glad to have someone there that was in the same position as he.

"And that serpent does not help the matter," hissed Thelian, glaring back to where Anwenelme and Arthain were aguing with expressions, not words. Dorlas was afraid that it would become more than just empty glares and emotionless stares in little time, but decided to let the apprehension slip until something really did happen.

"She treats what she did as if it is a trivial matter. Anwenelme probably believes what she did to Melost was all in a good day's work! Her heart is empty, and in the name of Eru I hope her spirit goes not to the halls of Mandos, but into exile with Morgoth," Thelian continued ranting, until Dorlas handed him some lembas and a water container with a pat on the back.

"There is nothing we can do to change the past," Dorlas reasoned, nibbling on some lembas. "But there is no point in trying to settle the score when Anwenelme will get what she deserves in the end anyway. What we must concentrate on now is getting the women to Lothlorien. Then we can move on to war, and your mind will be taken off of Anwenelme. Perhaps there is still hope to meet up with Melost."

The two ate in silence, a silence that was somehow loud with the thoughts that rang in both squires' minds. It was a contemplating silence, in which neither Dorlas nor Thelian spoke, but perhaps both wanted to. Dorlas was the next one to speak.

"Thank you, for defending me and my kind against Anwenelme's harsh words. It was very honorable of you," Dorlas said gratefully, and Thelian merely nodded.