View Single Post
Old 12-28-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
elenquesse
Pile O'Bones

elenquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elenquesse
Boots

I agree with Galadel, I particularly dislike Denethor, mainly because he was so darn cruel to Faramir, who proved to have a stronger willpower than his beloved brother. I myself live daily in the shadow of my immensely-intelligent Princetonian brother, and have been desperately trying to make a mark of my own. Second, I would name Pippin, that "fool of a Took". Although sweet and endearing, he does very little in the Quest other than help bring the Balrog out of the depths of Moria, foolishly wield the Palantir, and pledge himself to an ailing and otherwise crazed Steward. I can't recall if he did some other great deed in Minas Tirith, but generally speaking, he's rather naive.

I was surprised, Legolas, when you named Sam. He's one of my favorite characters, right behind Eowyn, but yes, it is kind of odd that he always addresses Frodo as "Mr.Frodo" or "Master" in the books. The point is that any other servant or slave would not embark on a hopeless quest for his master.