View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
This will be, essentially, the first professionally-mounted Tolkien fanfic. Such a film will have a lot less baggage hanging around its neck.
hmmmm. Tolkien fanfic movies. Would any enterprising Downers be the least little bit intrigued enough to consider not a book but a screen play for REB? Would Will Farrell be ripe for Etceteron? Nicole Kidman for Merisu? Danny Devito for that dwarf with the pet dragon? And of course the pre-eminent question, who would direct it? Why wait for Monty Python to make a LotR parody when we have our very material?

Mr. Underhill, you make a very good case for a director wanting to move into the Executive Producer chair in order to gain more financial control over his artistic ideas and to have more time to exploring other avenues of artistic development. Yet at the same time it is entirely possibly that Jackson, like Lucas before him, really is not true directorial material. I've always harboured the notion that RotK won its Oscar for best pic not because it was the best movie but because of the entire three part production process.

Which leaves us with the question of what will happen to Tolkien's work in the hands of a director who just might have a better track record as a director than PJ.

Lalaith or Eomer, might you explainwhat meaning of havering you are employing, for the deglutition of us non-nativeland speakers?