View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 10:04 PM   #70
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Uien watched the moonligh play silver over Falowik's hair as he rode with Doderic into the night. A faint smile played on her lips, heart full with his words and what had shone within his face and eyes. If he expected her love to diminish, she would have the joy of defeating such a foretelling. Shine she would if it meant lighting his way. Behind her, the sound of the Lay of Luthien floated in the air.

Some accorded it a tale of sadness, but there was much joy also. Uien sighed and turned to face the stables. A woman stood, singing by her horse. Perhaps she too understood the joy of Luthien's choice. Uien lifted her hand and her gaze met Lira's. Luthien gave much for her love, yet to Uien's mind she understood how much she recieved in return. After a moment of shared understanding between the two, Uien turned for the inn.

She had two days to muster aid before she set out and she planned to use them well. Hoping she would have the opportunity to speak with Lira prior to leaving, Uien entered back into the boisterous commonroom. Her gaze swept over the two that Falowik had pointed out to her. They were still sitting together. Another to speak to. Her gaze then found one Falco Boffin, Shirrif.

Her words of earlier that day circled in her head and Falco gaze slid away from hers. He became further enamoured of the table top when he realised that Uien was walking for him with purpose in her face.

"Shirrif Boffin," she said. Falco looked up at her, perhaps in the hopes that she really was not there. "Uien," he replied uncomfortably.

"I thought it would interest you to know that the Master of Buckland has sent his Second for Falowik, concerning the matter of Eodwine's disappearance. The two have departed only now so that they may speak with him." Falco's brows shot up, at that.

"And you did not go with them," he said in surprise.

"I plan to seek the Master of Buckland with the aid of others so that a search party can be formed. I will set out two days hence will all who are willing to assist."

"And I suppose Falowik has a big group of eager civic-minded assistants just waiting to be rounded up," Falco quipped.

"I thought perhaps you might have, Shirrif," Uien returned with some asperity at the implication. She paused then, drawing back before her anger rose. Falco saw her only straighten, as though she were rising above him with haughty pride.

"No matter," she ammended after a moment's silence. "If I must do this without your help, I shall Shirrif. My word on it. Good evening." With that Uien turned and left, making for the table where Nuinyulma and Doran Deroder sat in quiet converse. Falco watched her depart from beneath an offended, creased brow.

"Meddlesome..." he muttered, taking a long pull of ale from his tankard. If she thought to usurp his legitimate authority on grounds of her Elvish "wisdom", then she had underestimated just how seriously he took his responsibilities as Shirrif.

For Uien though, she had put aside the far from satisfactory exchange with Falco for the time being. Her only hope was to perhaps win his aid at some future point, if indeed his aid was worth having. Uien was far from decided on that matter. Ruby was also making for the same table, Deran having indicated that he could do with another drink.

"I see to it, Ruby. It's a busy night," Uien offered. Ruby smiled appreciatively and veered off to another table who also had a hand up for a drinks order. Uien continued on and found the pair sitting in silence.

"Excuse me," Uien began with a grave smile as she looked first at Nuinyulma and then at Doran. "I saw that you wished a drink and thought it would be an opportune moment to speak with you both of a matter of some importance. I hope I am not intruding."

Both returned Uien's gaze with a somewhat puzzled one. The Elf maiden realised her lapse with some internal chagrin for her own inelegance. The night had been a busy one, but that was no excuse. She missed Falowik's steadying presence already and she had two days before any hope of remedying that.

"I am Uien, and I work here at the Green Dragon Inn," she explained to them. "Please, may I speak with you. It will not take long. I will be only too happy to arrange for refreshments regardless of whether my company is to your liking or no." Uien fell silent then, hands clasped at her waist as she waited to learn if her clumsy approach had not cost her yet again.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight