View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 10:12 PM   #46
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
The hobbit stared up, looking with a mixture of utter confusion and perfect understanding at Snaveling. He himself was unsure which of the two emotions was coursing steadily through his veins now. The man before him laughed, a laughing that took Tobias Hornblower a moment to recover from. The heartiness and jovial light quality of the laugh was so unfitting of the venomous man that Toby for a fleeting second was not sure if it was indeed Snaveling who he was speaking to. His eyes, instead of widening in surprise, half closed, focused without moving on the suddenly warm face of his perfidious compatriot. His mouth practically fell open, and the dull tongue within that mouth hinted at moving, but no words came. The gentlehobbit just kept looking at the expression gracing Snaveling’s face and hearing the man’s kinder words ringing gently in his head.

He’s right. What have I gained from all this pointless deception? I had an unmatched set of cooking utensils and some silver coins, which are now lost to me. Why did I persist and why have I waited so long to question that? There is something I am missing here, but I will not find it out if I seek it. Perhaps the best way is the one that lies before me. At least I would no longer be antagonized. A new hobbit I would be, turning over a new leaf, so to speak. No one in Longbottom would pay any mind, but the blemish upon my reputation would be wiped clean…And no one would mind if I still borrowed some trivial little mementos every now an then.

“You are a very peculiar man, Snaveling, but I begin to see the meaning of your words.” Toby’s smile was no longer forced, but true. The emotional gesture began simply as the corners of his mouth began to leap up slowly, his entire face soon becoming engulfed by a warm-hearted grin. Breathing a heavy sigh of relief and strange new happiness, Toby continued. “I could still learn much from you and those like you. Perhaps now we can be of more ease around this place and less wary. What you’ve said is most certainly enlightening, Snaveling, and I assure you, I have taken it to heart. This is surely an interesting new leaf you’ve overturned, and I intend to follow suit.” He put his hands on Snaveling’s, which were still grasping his arms, and breathed deeply again, regaining all his lost composure. He looked calmly at Snaveling, who also settled and stepped back from the smaller hobbit.

“On that note, now may be the most ideal of times to sit down, have a good draught of Longbottom Leaf, and we can finally get around to discussing the little matter of that house in the Southfarthing you desired.” Toby Hornblower genuinely grinned, reaching into his sequined vest pocket for his pipe.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies