View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Rhun charioteer has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Ah, now I know what you're thinking of. I didn't recognise the line, but the only place I know of that could contain it as a chant would be one of the epic poems. Sure enough, in the Lay of Leithian, Sauron says these lines:

... to which Beren responds by mouthing off, because that's kind of his thing. And then Sauron offers to serenade them, because Middle-earth, in case you didn't know, is kind of odd.

Is this a prophecy? I'd say not. Rather, it's a prayer of sorts to Morgoth Bauglir, asking or hoping that he will bring the world into utter darkness. Which makes Orcish religion a seriously messed-up prospect; I'm not sure anyone's ever written about Orcs as a cult before, but look at that: they swear [b]vows[/i] to the Lord of Mirk, Maker, Gift-Giver, King of Kings and Despoiler of Bliss, and what they vow is 'death to law, to light, to love'. Wow.

What this does give us is Morgoth's idea of how the Dagorath should go: he gets to destroy everything. That's the key difference between Morgoth and Sauron: Sauron may not want to create, precisely, but he does want to rule. For Morgoth, ruling is just a means to an end, and the end is smashing the world.

hS
Ah that's what I was thinking of and that does have some disturbing implications for what orc religion(if such a thing exists) can be said to look like. Basically a combination of Satanism and Nihilism or Satanic Nihilism, or Nihilistic Satanism.
Rhun charioteer is offline   Reply With Quote