View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Fordim -

This is an incredibly clever idea for a thread! I expect I will be back several times if multiple posts are allowed. I remember late at night lying in my bed with the covers drawn over my head and doing this with the help of my flashlight. I thought my parents didn't even know that I was reading and playing games with books after I went to bed, but of course they did.

OK, here goes my first try..... I am using The Hobbit.

Quote:
But men remembered little of all that, though some still sang old songs of the dwarf-kings of the Mountain, Thror and Thrain of the race of Durin, and of the coming of the Dragon, and the fall of the lands of Dale. Some sang too that Thror and Thrain would come back one day and gold would flow in rivers, through the mountain-gates, and all that land would be filled with new song and new laughter. But this pleasant legend did not much affect their daily business.
Hmm... Well, I am wondering if my subconscious purposely led me to a passage that deals with "money" issues. One of our offspring is preparing to leave for college and I am forking out money right and left. Our small hoard of gold is rapidly shrinking as we pay for clothes, plane tickets, room and board, laptops, etc. etc. This passage is probably telling me something I already know....that despite my dreams of finding a treasure to make this whole process easier, my dreams are no more than thin air. I shall likely remain in pinched circumstances at least over the next four years.

Ah, if I had only put my finger on the passage where Bilbo found the dragon hoard or was allotted his fair share of the treasure!